Lehrstuhl für Orthopädie
Brettreichstrasse 11, D-97074 Würzburg
Research foci (and basic equipment-based research projects):
- Clinical Research Unit "Osteogenic Stem Cell Differentiation and Therapy of Bone Loss"; Research Director: Prof. Dr. J. Eulert; Principal Investigator in Chief: Prof. Dr. F. Jakob; Principal Investigators: Prof. Dr. W. Sebald (associated project, Director Dep. Phys. Chemistry II), PD Dr. N. Schütze, Dr. U. Nöth);
- Cell biology and recombinant proteins in bone (PD Dr. N. Schütze)
- Genomics and Proteomics of Mesenchymal Stem Cells (Dr. R. Ebert, Dr. K. Paunescu)
- Tissue Engineering and Mesenchymal Stem Cells (Dr. U. Nöth)
- Biomaterials and Stem Cell Differentiation (PD Dr. C. Hendrich)
- Genetic Background of Osteoarthritis (PD Dr. N. Schütze, PD Dr. C. Hendrich)
- Clinical problems and differential gene expression in aseptic and septic prosthetic loosening (PD Dr. C. Rader)
- Pathogenesis of Psoriasis Arthritis (PD Dr. A. König)
- Migration Analysis of hip endoprosthesis (PD Dr. C. Hendrich)
- Clinical studies of thrombosis prophylaxis (PD Dr. C. Rader)
- Diagnosis and specific surgical procedures for shoulder and elbow reconstruction (Prof. Dr. F. Gohlke)
- Biomechanics of shoulder and elbow (Prof. Dr. F. Gohlke)
- Heterotopic Ossifications (Dr. T. Barthel)
- Clinical studies of therapy of Paget´s diesease and osteoporosis (Prof. Dr. F. Jakob)
- Clinical Sports Medicine (PD Dr. M. Walter)
- Specific Pediaetric Orthopaedics (PD Dr. P. Raab)
Results and publications can be seen in descriptions of single projects.
Rewards and prizes:
1) Barthel, T., König U., Gohlke F.: Anatomy of the antero-superior labrum-capsule-complex. Poster-Award 1998 of the German Society for Orthopedics and Traumatology, DGOT-Congress in Wiebaden.
2) Ebert R., Travel Award for the Annual Meeting of osteologic Societies "Osteologie 2002".
3) Gohlke F., Essigkrug B., Eulert J. The arcitecture of collagen fiber bundles in the capsule of the shoulder joint. "Aesculap-Research Award" 1992 of the Basic Sciences Working Group of the German Society for Orthopedics and Traumatology.
4) Gohlke F.: Capsuloligamenteous control of the glenohumeral joint. Aspects on anatomy, biomechanics, and surgical repair of instability. Didier-Patte-Award 1994 of the SECEC (European Society for Shoulder and Elbow Surgery) in Barcelona.
5) Gohlke F., Müller T., Janßen E., Leidel J., Schmitz F., Meßlinger H., Eulert J.: Distribution and morphology of mechanoreceptors in the shoulder joint. Poster-Award 1995 of the ICSS (International Shoulder Society) in Helsinki.
6) Hendrich C. Poster-Award of the German Society for Orthopedics and Traumatology
7) Ilg A., Boehm D., Werner A., Gohlke F.: Influence of Laser-induced and thermal capsular shrinkage on terminal nerve endings in the shoulder joint. "Perthes-Award 2001" of the German Society of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery.
8) Lechner A., Schütze N., Siggelkow H., Seufert J., Jakob F. (2000) "The immediate early gene product hCYR61 localises to the secretory pathway in human osteoblasts". Bone 27:53-60: Nomination for the "Best Paper Award" of the journal "Bone" by the International Society for Bone and Mineral Research.
9) Raab P. Research Award of the Society for Pediatric Orthopedics
10) Rader C., Baumann B., Schütze N., Jakob F., Eulert J. (2001) "Regulation of gene products in a human Particle-Disease-Model": Poster-Award of the Society of Orthopedic Surgeons of North Germany.
11) Rader, C. "Biological effect of particles from endoprothetic wear in aseptic endoprosthesis looseing": Albert Hoffa Award 2000 of the Society of Orthopedic Surgeons of North Germany.
12) Rader, C. "Regulation of gene products in a human Partikel-Disease-Model": Poster Award of 50th Annual Meeting of the Society of Orthopedic Surgeons of North Germany.
13) Schütze N., Lechner A., Müller J., Eulert J., Jakob F. "Expression and regulation of the immediate early gene product hCYR61 in human osteoblasts": Mario Boni Award 2000 of the European Orthopedic Research Society.
14) Schütze N., Reichel S., Barthelmes U., Rücker N., Pfeufer J., Lechner A., Jakob F. (2001) "The human Protein A kinase adaptor protein 2 is a TNFa regulated gene in human osteoblasts and localizes to the actin cytoskeleton". Plenary Poster at the Annual Meeting 2001 of the American Society for Bone and Mineral Research.
15) Schütze N: Travel Award for the Annual Meeting of osteologic Societies "Osteologie 2002".
16) Walther M., Harms H., Krenn V., Radke S., Faehndrich T.P., Gohlke F.: Correlation of Power Doppler sonography with vascularity of the synovial tissue of the knee joint. "Arthur-Vick-Award" of the Association for Orthopaedic Rheumatology.
17) Walther, M. Poster Award 2001 of the Society for Orthopaedic-Traumatologic Sports Medicine.
The hospital is run by the Regional Government of the county of Unterfranken. The Orthopedic Department, the Competence Centre Osteology and the Orthopedic Outpatient Clinic of the University of Würzburg are integrated within this complex. In addition to the director in chief (C4-Professor) one C3-Professor, 6 Residents, 17 assistant doctors and 6 medical doctors in practice are dealing with patient care, student teaching and research. The hospital is running 140 patient beds and 5 operating theatres, where approximately 3.000 surgical procedures/annum are performed. About 8.000 patients per annum are cared for in the Outpatient Clinic. In addition the house is running departments for x-ray diagnostics and for Physical Therapy.