Characterisation of the interplay between neurotrophic factors and matrix molecules in the induction of specific signalling cascades in neuronal cells: Development of threapeutics for neuronal regeneration.
Project management at the University of Würzburg:
Regeneration of neurons is a rather problematic process, especially after spinal cord injuries. The aim of this project is to develop factors which increase neuronal regeneration. These factors will be tested here in specific cellular assays.
1. Reportergene assays using the following factors: TGF-ß1, GDF-5, Artemin, EGF
2. Identification of ideal cell systems (primary cells, cell lines)
3. Modulation of the signaling cascade of these factors by expression of dominant-negative signaling components or application of specific inhibitors
4. Identification of crosstalk between specific signalling cascades
5. Analyses of factor cocktails in respect to their impact on proliferation and differentiation.
6. Identification of additional biological read-outs for these factors.
Projekt period: from 05.2001 to 04.2004
Bund ( BMBF ) ,Granting date: 08.05.2001